Bo Gorcesky - Associated Content from Yahoo!

Monday, June 22, 2009

The top ten horror films to watch just prior to Halloween part 7: The Evil Dead (movie review)

Wow, we're really getting down to the nitty gritty are we not? As I hit this film, I'm totally seeing excellence in film making. Oh, before I get a little ahead of myself today, allow me to give you the usual recap. Thank you for joing me and my new blog about some of the greatest horror films you'll need to see before this holiday season is out. For the previous people that are returning, thanks for being loyal enouhg to read my rants, see the pics and reading the stats for the body count, gore and boobs. Again, this film is represented in true Joe Bob Briggs fashion, from the style of the writing to the review only hoping that I can catch the flare that Joe Bob has and hopefully intrigue a few of you to go out and check out some of these horror films (or possiably go buy them if you haven't seen them just yet). To the people that are new to my listing, feel free to read the previous blogs on this countdown. ANd if you don't wanna do that, this is where we are currently standing in the countdown: 10)A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: The Dream Warriors 9)Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives 8)Return of the Living Dead 7)Dead Alive (aka Brain Dead) 6)Re-Animator 5)Demons (aka Demoni) so without further adieu - the next listing in the countdown is gonna be....



4)Evil Dead

This film is a DEF MUST see. Every lil film that I have ever worked on, it was mandatory that my friends/actors had to watch this film before they worked with me. It's a total inspiration to all young film makers allike and I personally feel that it helped change the world of horror films. Granted again, the special effects at the time are pretty funny to see nowadays, but this film did something to the market. It was soo gorey that it could be hardly shown anywhere, and if they did - they'd hae to cut so much shit out of it. SO it's very hard to have ever probably seen this film on television (cable, satellite or otherwise) it's a real cult gem that NOT enough people know about - horror or appreaciators of film in general.

The first time I saw it, I don't recall my eyes blinkin gfor the longest time trying to ingest all of the Karo syrup covered eye candy that I could take in. Blood, guts, body parts and demon excretement is flying all throughout this film. It's got some fun lil stop motion clay animated gore within it, and the entire end scene just seems to keep on getting grosser and grosser and progressing with just more oozing guts and bugs.New Line Cinema's The Evil Dead

This film has some things that I'm sure you're never gonna see anywhere else - whether it's done visually with Raimi's style of handling the camera OR how they present themselves with gore and sheenanigans. Like how many times are you going to see a forest try to molest a girl running around in her jammies? A drainage pipe burst blood? Blood coming out of electical outlets? The film's score and the vocalization of all of the Deadites (commonly known as the possessed persons with the Demon as revealed in Army of Darkness)

Oh, and for people with questions of continuity - think of it like this. There is a fine line of continuing the same storyline between Evil Dead 1 and 2. Evil Dead 2 links directly up with Army of Darkness. But due to legality problems, think of Evil Dead 2 as a remake to one with a bigger budget. Evil Dead ends with Ash surviving until dawn and then "THE FORCE" crashing throuhg the cabin and attacking him with Ash's scream as the screen goes to black.

In the beginning of Evil Dead 2, they pretty much redo what goes on in Evil Dead 1, but just with Ash and his girlfriend. So they're able to recap everything that happens from the first one, within about the first half an hour or so, then que when THE FORCE attacks Ash that we saw at the end of Evil Dead 1. After that happens, well pretty much a new story starts to unravel that is truly the marking point of Evil Dead 2 - and thusly hooks up with Army of Darkness. SO basically as the sequels progress, they get funnier and less gorey - for marketable reasons. THe boys saw that no one wanted the first Evil Dead, without doing a lot of censoring to it first. But it did eventually find a home in England, which eventually became the rest as history of keeping the film alive. Not to mention it's success in parts of Asia as well.

Memorable lines:

1)ASH: "You bastards, why are you torturing me like this? WHY?!"

2)SCOTTY: "She's your girlfriend - you take care of her. I'm getting out of here."

3)SCOTTY: "Hehe, I'm gonna break your face."

4)SCOTTY: "PARTY DOWN."

5)LINDA: "We're gonna get you, we're gonna get you. Not another peep, time to go to sleep."

ASH: "SHUT UP! SHUT UP!"

6) CHERYL: "You're not going to leave me here, are you Ash? Heheheh"

7) THE FORCE: "Join usss. Join ussss."

8)PROFESSOR: "I know now that my wife has become host to a Candarian demon. I fear that the only way to stop those possessed by the spirits of the book is through the act of... bodily dismemberment. "

9)CHERYL: "Soon all of you will be like me... And then who will lock you up in a cellar? New Line Cinema's The Evil Dead

10)SHELLY: I don't know what I would have done if I had remained on those hot coals... Burning my pretty flesh. The Evil Dead

11)CHERYL: Kill her if you can, loverboy.

12)SCOTTY: Hit it Ash, HIT IT! Argghh."

13)ASH: Now, the sun will be up in an hour or so and we can all get out of here together. You, me, Linda, Shelly. Hmm... Well... not Shelly, she? We'll all be going home together. Wouldn't you like to be going home? I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you? Scott?

14)SHELLY: "WHAT HAPPENED TO HER EYES?!"

Things to look for:

-Bodily dismemberment with axe and chainsaw

-Burying bodies, sticking a cross into the ground and then the ominious thunder and lightning strike.

-Tree rape

-Headless Linda dry humping Ash

-FAKE SHEMPS

-Cheesy super matted shot of the Moon getting ink poured over it

-Claymation Necronomicon wagging it's tongue around

-Saving the day utilizing a cheesy ass necklace charm

-Bitch slapping a demon for being childish and annoying

-Look for the "Steel City" outlets that pour blood - a straight up refernce to the boys hometown of Michigan.

-The cabin that this was shot in somehow burnt down, all that stands is a fireplace. Most fans try to hunt down for this place is, cause they like to take the bricks to fan conventions so that Bruce Campbell can sign them and he gets freaked out by their dorkiness. Trust me I know, I got Bruce to sign my Evil Dead painting which freaked him out lol. The cabin also acutlaly had no basement, ..

No comments:

Post a Comment